How Much is it to Register a Company?
The cost of registering a company will depend on how you choose to go about it. The cheapest option is to register online, either directly with Companies House or with the help of a company formation package. But you can also register by post if you don’t mind paying a little more and waiting for everything to go through.
Option 1. Register Your Company Directly with Companies House
- Your company will need to be limited by shares – under this structure the company exists as a separate legal entity from the shareholders, which protects their personal finances if the business runs up debts.
- You should use the standard memorandum and articles of association templates available on the gov.uk website – these forms spell out how the company will be run and they need to be signed by the shareholders, directors and company secretary.
- Don’t forget to register for corporation tax and PAYE – you can also do this online.
Option 2. Save Yourself the Companies House Filing Fee
With our company formation packages, you can register your limited company quickly and simply. And, best of all, we’ll pay the £12 Companies House filing fee for you!
There are four packages to choose from:
- E-Formation (£9.99): perfect if you want to secure a company name and don’t need any official printed documents.
- Essential (£19.99): offers you complete confidence that you’re starting a company with the rules and regulations covered.
- Entrepreneur (£59.99): kick-start your next big venture with official compliance and additional documents of incorporation.
- Super (£89.99): the complete secretarial and compliance package to establish your company on a robust footing.
Option 3. Register Your Company by Post
If you’re not comfortable registering online, you can register by post for a fee of £40. In this scenario you should download form IN01 from the gov.uk website.
It will normally take 8 to 10 days to register your company by post. But you can be registered on the same day if you get your application to Companies House by 3pm and pay a fee of £100.
All cheques should be made out to ‘Companies House’.
Option 4. Register As An Overseas Company
The cost of registering a company based overseas with Companies House is £20. You should download the OS IN01 form from the gov.uk website and pay by cheque or postal order.
Register your own business from £9.99
Check out our helpful links
Our simple process
Find a name for
Choose the bundle that's right for you
Fill in a few details and we'll do the rest
What our customers think
- Set up a basic Limited Company that’s ready to trade and choose anything else you need as extra.
- An easy way to set up a company that’s ready to trade. Plus, your official printed certificates.
- Your official certificates & company register. Plus, a registered business address, FREE for 3 months.
- The hassle and risk-free option for getting started and growing your limited company.
- Starter plus a comprehensive SME legal documents and credit score build & monitor service.
Ready to have your company set up?
What is a company formation agent?
Formation agents perform company registrations in partnership with Companies House. We’re one of the largest, and also the cheapest. We don’t just get your company registered then leave you to it – we use our experience to help you start your business properly. There are plenty of reasons to use a formation agent rather than go directly to Companies House. If you ask us, though, the best thing is that we go through the whole process with you, and get your application submitted securely online. We provide expert advice on the legal hurdles while you incorporate, and recommend good quality solutions that you might need after you’ve formed.
What’s the difference between sole trader and limited company?
Think of it this way: when you form a limited company, you put a protective shield between you and your business. Being a sole trader is the opposite – you have no protection. As a sole trader, you are responsible for any debt you might come into while you’re in business. When you register and become the director of your own limited company, you have less personal responsibility. The benefits are that you can claim back expenses, and add to your salary with dividend payments at the end of the year. For more information, see our Help Centre article about limited companies and sole traders.
How do I register a company?
Easy, we’ll do it for you. Check out our formation bundles to learn more about our different products. They start at £9.99, and go all the way up to our Super bundle. Limited company formation is a straightforward business if you’re as well-versed with the process as we are. If you’re not sure where to start, check out our company formation guides for an introduction and some insider tips.
Why The Formations Company?
We’re dedicated to British business, and love nothing more than seeing new companies flourish. 750,000 UK companies have trusted us to help them register, and we have thousands of happy customers who’ve seen how simple the formations process can be. We’re cheaper than going to Companies House directly, and cost less than most accountants. Our online application is incredibly simple, and if you’ve got all your documents handy it shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to complete. So what are you waiting for? Start your business today.