A Simple Guide to Online Company Registration
Registering a company with Companies House can be a good way of managing your tax, as opposed to registering as a sole trader. You can also use online company registration packages to complete the process in a few simple steps from your computer.
Benefits of Online Company Registration
Perhaps the main benefit of setting up a limited company is that your personal assets should be protected if the company builds up debts. This will give you room to take a little more financial risk when getting the business off the ground.
Registering a limited company can also help manage the amount of tax you pay. For instance, you could draw the bulk of your income in company dividends, which aren’t subject to income tax.
What’s more, a limited company can claim more in allowable expenses and reliefs than a sole trader or a partnership. You get to keep more of your money because there are tax deductible costs which you can offset against a company’s profits.
Naming Your Company
Have you decided what you want to call your company? Remember to check with Companies House that the name you’ve set your heart on hasn’t already been taken.
Here are some tips for choosing a company name:
- Research the market that you’ll be operating in – the names of your competitors should provide inspiration when choosing your own.
- Avoid company names that are hard to spell – and make sure it rolls easily off the tongue.
- Keep the name short – a punchy company name will be easier to remember and it will look better on marketing material.
- Pick a name that’s meaningful – your company name will be the first thing people learn about your business, so does it explain what you do?
Got a name in mind? With our free online search tool, you can check whether your company name is available with Companies House.
Seeking Expert Advice
A company formation specialist can help you:
- Register your company with Companies House
- Minimise what you pay in tax
- Complete the Memorandum of Association that explains how you will run your company
- Issue shares to other shareholders and understand the types of shares available and how they work
Registering Online with Companies House
Companies House is the government body that deals with limited company registration in the UK. They’ll want to know:
- the names of the company directors
- what your company is called
- the business address
There will be several forms to fill in, including a memorandum and articles of association. These documents formalise how the company will be run and who owns shares. They’ll require signatures from the director(s), shareholder(s) and company secretary.
Once you have all the information you need, you can register your limited company online with Companies House. Our online company registration packages take the pain out of this process for you. There are four packages to choose from:
- E-Formation (£9.99): perfect if you want to secure a company name and don’t need any official printed documents.
- Essential (£19.99): offers you complete confidence that you’re starting a company with the rules and regulations covered.
- Entrepreneur (£59.99): kick-start your next big venture with official compliance and additional documents of incorporation.
- Super (£89.99): the complete secretarial and compliance package to establish your company on a robust footing.
Best of all, when you sign up for one of our online company registration packages, we pay the £12 Companies House filing fee for you!
Registering for Corporation Tax
Make sure to do it in the first three months or you could have to pay a fine. HMRC will send you the information you need after you register with Companies House. This will include your tax reference number and the deadline for filing your annual return.
Register your own business from £9.99
Check out our helpful links
Our simple process
Find a name for
Choose the bundle that's right for you
Fill in a few details and we'll do the rest
What our customers think
- Set up a basic Limited Company that’s ready to trade and choose anything else you need as extra.
- An easy way to set up a company that’s ready to trade. Plus, your official printed certificates.
- Your official certificates & company register. Plus, a registered business address, FREE for 3 months.
- The hassle and risk-free option for getting started and growing your limited company.
- Starter plus a comprehensive SME legal documents and credit score build & monitor service.
The government will introduce making tax digital to businesses to help reduce the time taken to complete admin, allowing small businesses to focus on their customers, innovation and growth. Who...Read More
The Prime Minister has confirmed to raise national insurance contributions by 1.25% to help fund the NHS and an overhaul of social care, but what could this mean for business owners? ...Read More
Ready to have your company set up?
What is a company formation agent?
Formation agents perform company registrations in partnership with Companies House. We’re one of the largest, and also the cheapest. We don’t just get your company registered then leave you to it – we use our experience to help you start your business properly. There are plenty of reasons to use a formation agent rather than go directly to Companies House. If you ask us, though, the best thing is that we go through the whole process with you, and get your application submitted securely online. We provide expert advice on the legal hurdles while you incorporate, and recommend good quality solutions that you might need after you’ve formed.
What’s the difference between sole trader and limited company?
Think of it this way: when you form a limited company, you put a protective shield between you and your business. Being a sole trader is the opposite – you have no protection. As a sole trader, you are responsible for any debt you might come into while you’re in business. When you register and become the director of your own limited company, you have less personal responsibility. The benefits are that you can claim back expenses, and add to your salary with dividend payments at the end of the year. For more information, see our Help Centre article about limited companies and sole traders.
How do I register a company?
Easy, we’ll do it for you. Check out our formation bundles to learn more about our different products. They start at £9.99, and go all the way up to our Super bundle. Limited company formation is a straightforward business if you’re as well-versed with the process as we are. If you’re not sure where to start, check out our company formation guides for an introduction and some insider tips.
Why The Formations Company?
We’re dedicated to British business, and love nothing more than seeing new companies flourish. 750,000 UK companies have trusted us to help them register, and we have thousands of happy customers who’ve seen how simple the formations process can be. We’re cheaper than going to Companies House directly, and cost less than most accountants. Our online application is incredibly simple, and if you’ve got all your documents handy it shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to complete. So what are you waiting for? Start your business today.