How to Register a New Company (UK)
Looking to keep more of what you earn? Registering a limited company can be an effective way to manage what you pay in tax. And it’s simpler than you might think. Read on to find out how to register a new company in the UK.
1. Choose a Structure for Your New Company
Most people who register a new company (UK) select what’s called a ‘private company limited by shares’. This is normally what people mean by a limited company.
This structure can be a good way of managing your tax. There are tax deductible costs which you can offset against a company’s profits, meaning you get to keep more of your money.
What’s more, your personal assets should be protected if the company gets into financial trouble. That’s because a limited company is a separate legal entity and responsible in its own right for all its debts.
Not sure what structure is right for you? Give our expert support team a call on 020 7129 8651 or click ‘feedback’ on the sidebar.
2. Register a New Company Name
Before you register a new company with Companies House, you need to choose a unique name.
Pick a name that helps explain what your business does when reading in isolation. Avoid names that are difficult to spell. Think about how the name will work in a web address.
To distinguish your business from others offering similar services, consider including your location (i.e. ‘North Leeds Roofers and Joiners’).
Got a name in mind? With our free online search tool, you can check whether your company name is available with Companies House.
3. Enter Your Company Information
When you register a new company (UK), much of the information you provide will be made publically available. Companies House will want details of your:
- Company directors – your company must have at least one director. Companies House will want to know their name, date of birth and residential address.
- Company shareholders – every company must have at least one shareholder, but this can be the same person as the director. Companies House will want to know their name, date of birth and residential address.
- Registered office – this is the address where Companies House and HMRC will send mail. It must be in the UK and it must be possible to reach the company directors at the address.
If you don’t have a separate address for your business, you should use your home address to register a new company. But if you aren’t comfortable with your home address being made public, we offer a Registered Agent Service which lets you register your business at our Central London location.
4. Allocate Company Shares
When you register a new company, you’ll need to allocate shares to your shareholder(s). The simplest way is to allocate one share to each shareholder and make each individual share worth £1.
Did you know? With our company formation packages, you can register a new company quickly and simply. There are four packages to choose from:
- E-Formation (£9.99): perfect if you want to secure a company name and don’t need any official printed documents.
- Essential (£19.99): offers you complete confidence that you’re starting a company with the rules and regulations covered.
- Entrepreneur (£59.99): kick-start your next big venture with official compliance and additional documents of incorporation.
- Super (£89.99): the complete secretarial and compliance package to establish your company on a robust footing.
Best of all, when you sign up for one of our company formation packages, we pay the £12 Companies House filing fee for you!
5. Complete the Memorandum and Articles of Association
These documents spell out how your company will be run. They need to be agreed on and signed by the company director(s), shareholder(s) and secretary before you register a new company in the UK.
We’ve drawn up article templates to help you out. You get access to these when you sign up for our company formation packages.
6. Submit Everything to Companies House
Make sure to check all the details carefully before you hit ‘submit’. You may have to pay to change certain information later.
Good luck with your new business!
Register your own business from £9.99
Check out our helpful links
Our simple process
Find a name for
Choose the bundle that's right for you
Fill in a few details and we'll do the rest
What our customers think
- Set up a basic Limited Company that’s ready to trade and choose anything else you need as extra.
- An easy way to set up a company that’s ready to trade. Plus, your official printed certificates.
- Your official certificates & company register. Plus, a registered business address, FREE for 3 months.
Ready to have your company set up?
What is a company formation agent?
Formation agents perform company registrations in partnership with Companies House. We’re one of the largest, and also the cheapest. We don’t just get your company registered then leave you to it – we use our experience to help you start your business properly. There are plenty of reasons to use a formation agent rather than go directly to Companies House. If you ask us, though, the best thing is that we go through the whole process with you, and get your application submitted securely online. We provide expert advice on the legal hurdles while you incorporate, and recommend good quality solutions that you might need after you’ve formed.
What’s the difference between sole trader and limited company?
Think of it this way: when you form a limited company, you put a protective shield between you and your business. Being a sole trader is the opposite – you have no protection. As a sole trader, you are responsible for any debt you might come into while you’re in business. When you register and become the director of your own limited company, you have less personal responsibility. The benefits are that you can claim back expenses, and add to your salary with dividend payments at the end of the year. For more information, see our Help Centre article about limited companies and sole traders.
How do I register a company?
Easy, we’ll do it for you. Check out our formation bundles to learn more about our different products. They start at £9.99, and go all the way up to our Super bundle. Limited company formation is a straightforward business if you’re as well-versed with the process as we are. If you’re not sure where to start, check out our company formation guides for an introduction and some insider tips.
Why The Formations Company?
We’re dedicated to British business, and love nothing more than seeing new companies flourish. 750,000 UK companies have trusted us to help them register, and we have thousands of happy customers who’ve seen how simple the formations process can be. We’re cheaper than going to Companies House directly, and cost less than most accountants. Our online application is incredibly simple, and if you’ve got all your documents handy it shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to complete. So what are you waiting for? Start your business today.